Licensing: Food, Pools, and Lodging Services (FPLS) - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

Food, Pools, and Lodging Services (FPLS)

License Required

The Food, Pools, and Lodging Services Section at the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), along with locally delegated public health agencies, licenses and inspects food, pool and lodging establishments in Minnesota.

We License the Following

Food Establishments

A license is required if you plan to sell food and/or beverages in Minnesota.

Public Swimming Pools and Spas

A license is required for any public swimming pool other than a private residential pool.

Lodging Establishments

A license is required for businesses in Minnesota that provide overnight sleeping accommodations as defined in Minnesota Statutes, section 157.15.

We DO NOT License the Following

  • Bakeries
  • Convenience stores
  • Grocery stores
  • Meat markets/in store delis
  • Vending machines
  • Wholesale food manufacturing plants

For information about starting the following types of businesses contact the Minnesota Department of Agriculture at

Find Your Inspector

The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has a delegation agreement with some local health agencies (city, county) to provide licenses for food and beverage, pools and spas and lodging establishments in Minnesota. MDH is responsible for the remaining areas of the state.

The location (city or county) of the establishment determines which agency will provide the license. See Licensing Jurisdiction to find out which agency you will need to contact regarding your licensing concerns.

Plan Review is Required

For New Construction, Remodeling and Additions of All Licensed Establishment

For MDH Jurisdictions - MDH must approve food service, public swimming pool and lodging plans before new construction or remodeling may begin. You will need an approved plan review for new construction, remodeling and additions. This includes temporary food services, such as mobile food units, seasonal permanent food stands, seasonal temporary food stands, and food carts.

Plan Review and License Fees Including Definitions

Statewide Hospitality Fee

In 2005, the Minnesota Legislature created a Statewide Hospitality Fee for all food, beverage, and lodging establishments licensed in the state.    

Onsite Feeding Locations, Food Shelves and Food Banks

This guide outlines food safety measures to reduce the risk of foodborne illness when providing food to neighbors in need. It helps donors, distributors, groups serving donated food and regulators follow consistent and uniform interpretation of food safety regulations.

Casinos and Tribal Land

For information regarding health regulations in casinos or on tribal land, see Indian Health Service.

Licensing Statutes and Rules

For licensing questions and concerns, contact the Food, Pools, and Lodging Services Section.

FPLS Contact Us

Updated Tuesday, 26-Jul-2022 20:18:29 CDT