Information for Parents about Autism Spectrum Disorder - Minnesota Department of Health

Information for Families about Autism

What can I do if I think my child has Autism?

Acting early and getting the right supports while your child is young will help them, and your family, in the long run.

  1. Talk to your child's doctor: Share any questions or concerns about how your child is playing, learning, speaking, or acting. It may be helpful to write some notes about you are observing and bring those to your appointment. Ask the doctor about developmental screening.
  2. Ask about referrals: If you or your doctor has remaining questions about your child's development, ask for a referral to see a developmental pediatrician, child psychologist, or other specialist who can do a more in-depth evaluation.
  3. Contact your school district: If your child is under age five, contact Minnesota's early intervention system, also known as Help Me Grow 1-866-693-4769 through the school district to discuss any services that may help your child and family. If your child is five years or older, contact your local school district's special education services. You can call the district even if your child isn't enrolled in school.

Minnesota Department of Human Services Autism Videos

"On the Autism Spectrum: Families Find Help and Hope" is a series of five short films that provides information about Autism and services available to Minnesota families in different communities.

For more information

Updated Wednesday, 19-Feb-2020 10:28:22 CST