TB Information for Local Public Health Departments
Tools and procedures for local public health departments who manage clients with active TB or latent TB infection (LTBI).
For more information about prioritizing active TB, contact investigation, latent infection, and Class B follow up at the local and tribal public health level, see Guide for Prioritizing TB Prevention and Control Activities During the COVID-19 Response (PDF).
- TB Medications Information for Local Public Health Nurses
Tuberculosis medications information for local public health nurses.
Tuberculosis patient education materials
- TB Basics
Fact sheets (including translations), posters, videos and other resources on TB prevention, control, and elimination.
- Home Sputum Collection Video
Video produced by Public Health Madison and Dane County, Wisconsin that will show you how to provide a sputum specimen that was requested by your health care provider.
Procedures and forms for transferring the care of clients with active TB disease, LTBI, and close contacts to other jurisdictions (county, state, or international).
- Interjurisdictional Tuberculosis Notification for Latent TB Infection (LTBI) (PDF)
MDH form for the transfer of LTBI clients between counties or states.
- Interjursidictional TB Notification (IJN)
This National TB Controllers Association (NTCA) forms are used to facilitate the transfer of patients with active TB, suspected TB, a TB Class A/B condition, TB Infection, and TB contact from state to state. It is also used to facilitate the transfer of patients between counties within Minnesota.
- Note, please use the MDH LTBI form for latent TB infection transfers within the state.
- Please complete form and fax to MDH at 1-800-296-0993. MDH TB staff will forward form on to receiving jurisdiction. Consult with MDH TB staff if you have questions about the form.
- International Notification of Tuberculosis Cases
CDC Division of TB Elimination's recommended procedure for transferring clients with active TB disease who move outside of the United States. Please consult with MDH TB staff before completing form.
- TB Contact Investigation
Information and resources regarding TB contact investigation.
- Multi-Drug Resistant (MDR) Tuberculosis
MDH screening and treatment recommendations for persons exposed to MDR TB and monitoring tool for patients receiving MDR LTBI treatment.
- Procedure for Notifying Local Public Health Departments of TB Suspects and Cases
Outlines the procedure MDH uses to notify local public health departments of a suspected or confirmed case of active TB in their jurisdiction.
- TB Class B Arrivals: The Role of Local Public Health (LPH)
MDH fact sheet that describes the role of LPH and action steps for ensuring follow-up evaluation for immigrants and refugees who have recently arrived to the U.S. with a TB Class designation.
- Instructions for Submitting Sputum Samples to the MDH Public Health Laboratory (PHL) for Acid-Fast Bacilli (AFB) Smear and Culture (PDF)
Instructions for public health nurses who need to obtain sputa from a client with confirmed or suspected active TB.
- Tuberculosis Patient Teaching Checklist (Word)
Template developed by MDH and select local public health agencies to adapt for their own use. This includes teaching points for patients diagnosed with active TB disease and links to patient education fact sheets.
- Tuberculosis Hospital Discharge Planning Checklist (PDF)
Recommendations to address before discharging a patient with active TB disease from the hospital.
- Tuberculin Skin Testing (TST) Protocol (Word)
Template protocol developed by MDH for local public health agencies to adapt for their own use. Includes guidance for administration, reading, and interpreting TSTs. Note: to remove the watermark on the document, click on the document’s footer then click on the watermark text.
Video Directly Observed Therapy (VDOT)
- Video DOT Tool Kit for Local Public Health is now available!
Video Directly Observed Therapy (VDOT) is the use of a videophone or other video/computer equipment to observe TB patients taking their medications remotely. The method is promising as a flexible and less invasive option to help ensure TB patients complete their treatment successfully. This toolkit provides background information on VDOT as well as example templates to be adapted for local implementation of VDOT.
- Infectious Disease Laboratory
Information about the MDH Lab, including an updated form for submitting sputum samples to the MDH Lab - see Request for Testing and Submission of Isolates.
- National Tuberculosis Controllers Association (NTCA)
Leaders of TB control programs in all states and territories, as well as many counties and city health departments that organize their own TB control activities.