Training for Vital Records Professionals
County Vital Records Offices
Office hours provide local vital records professionals an opportunity to learn more about a featured topic, ask questions, and share information. Each session includes topic presentations, resources, and discussion. Every session reserves time for open forum. New and experienced staff are invited to participate. Send ideas for Office Hours topics to firstname.lastname@example.org.
September Virtual Office Hours—coming soon
Save the date for the Minnesota Association of County Officers (MACO) Winter Conference, February 14-16, 2023, Doubletree Hotel St. Louis Park, MN. The Vitals Session is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon on February 14, 2023.
Recorded Office Hours
Acceptable ID (YouTube) October 20, 2021
Adoptions and Other Replaced Records (YouTube) June 22, 2022
Death Record Amendments (YouTube) February 16, 2022
Eligibility/Tangible Interest (YouTube) January 19, 2022
Historical Vital Records (YouTube) August 17, 2022
Parental Notices (YouTube) November 17, 2021
Paternity (YouTube) May 18, 2022
Security Paper Management and Reconciliation (YouTube) April 20, 2022
Tour of MDH Website (YouTube) July 27, 2022
Funeral Directors and Staff Training
OVR is on the agenda for the Minnesota Funeral Directors Association, Fall Regional Meetings.
Hospital Birth Registrar Training
Applying Best Practices for Reporting Medical and Health Information on Birth Certificates is a one-hour course for created by the CDC National Center for Health Statistics and the National Association for Public Health Statistics and Information Systems. The course is for birth registrars and health professionals who supply medical/health information for birth certificates or reports of fetal death.The course
- Explains the importance of reporting birth record and fetal death information
- Describes how birth registrars and clinicians can improve maternal and infant health data
- Names resources available to aid birth registrars and clinicians
- Tests what the student learned about birth and fetal death registration
- Offers continuing education credits (CMEs, CNEs, CEUs, CPHs). Certificates are available for those who successfully complete the course.
Birth Registration 101
Birth 101 is a virtual training class for hospital birth registrars and other staff who are new to vital records and who involved in collecting data, establishing parentage, and registering births in the
Minnesota Registration and Certification (MR&C) System. Staff from the Office of Vital Records (OVR) at
the Minnesota Department of Health and the Division of Child Support (CSD) at the Minnesota
Department of Human Services lead the live interactive session. Successful completion of the session
meets state requirements for MR&C security and training.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Find resources to determine and apply applicable vital record regulations
- Inform unmarried parents about their paternity establishment options
- Use the Minnesota Registration and Certification (MR&C) system efficiently
- Direct parents and families who need certificates or certificate changes
Video for parents to watch before signing the Recognition of Parentage form: Establishing Parentage (YouTube)
Medical Certifiers and Staff
OVR is presenting “Death Certificates for Public Health and for Families” on September 30, 2022 (Breakout 8), at the Minnesota Network of Hospice and Palliative Care 2022 Virtual Conference.
Improving Cause of Death Reporting (CDC online training module)
OVR currently has no scheduled training sessions.